La Chapelle Expiatoire
29 Rue Pasquier
Metro: saiNT-AUGUSTIN, LINE 9
Hours: check online for times
Built by order of King Louis XVIII over the ancient cemetery for the nearby Madeleine Church, La Chapelle Expiatoire was inaugurated in 1826 to commemorate those who perished on the guillotine at nearby Place de la Concorde and whose bodies were dumped into the church cemetery. The bodies of King louis XVI and his wife Marie Antoinette were removed to the basilica at Saint-Denis north of Paris, the traditional burial place for French monarchs.
From place de la Concorde: rue Royale, place de la Madeleine and boulevard Malesherbes
From Saint-Lazare station: rue du Havre, rue Tronchet and rue des Mathurins.
Image: photo circa 1900. Author's collection