La Chapelle Expiatoire

vintage postcard series - Built by order of King Louis XVIII over the ancient cemetery for the nearby Madeleine Church, La Chapelle Expiatoire was inaugurated in 1826 to commemorate those who perished on the guillotine at nearby Place de la Concorde and whose bodies were dumped into the church cemetery. The bodies of King louis XVI and his wife Marie Antoinette were removed to the basilica at Saint-Denis north of Paris, the traditional burial place for French monarchs. More information.

chap_expiatoire.jpg
photo by Gérard Janot, wikipedia

photo by Gérard Janot, wikipedia