Vintage postcard series & missing artwork - Marie was a sculptor and writer who wrote and sculpted under the pseudonym of Claude Vignon. She is buried in D46 in Père-Lachaise. Her bust, which she sculpted, is presently missing.
Pierre-Frédéric Dorian (1814–1873). French politician, manufacturer, and former Minister of Public Works. D70, Avenue Cail, Avenue des Peupliers and Rond-Point.
Description: Statue (1875) by Aimé Millet of Pierre during the defense of Paris 1870–71, sitting on a wicker basket used to fortify walls, with his left hand over his heart while in his right hand he holds a map of Paris fortifications; his left foot rests atop the barrel of a small cannon. Architect was Léon Dupré.
2006 by Steve Soper
Pierre Gareau (1766–1815) was a French merchant. Located in D10, inside the division; the grave used to be just to the right of a path going up the hill but the path is now long gone.
The sculpture by François-Dominique Milhomme (D1) depicting La Douleur is quite possibly a representation of his widow.
This has the unique distinction of being the first statue erected in Père-Lachaise and is one of the few of the earliest monuments still standing in the cemetery.
The following images are from 1821, 1840, c. 1900 and 2012.
Alfred Chauchard (1821–1909). D64, Avenue Circulaire. French merchant and art collector.
Bust of Alfred by Henri Weigele.
Look closely at how the background has changed over the years.
2006 by Steve Soper
Vincenzo Bellini (1801–1835). D11 just off of Chemin Méhul, near Bosquet Delille. Italian music composer. In 1876 his remains were returned to his birthplace, Catania, Sicily.
Portrait medallion of Vincenzo by Charles Marochetti. Originally there was a female angel sitting with arms crossed on the slab portion of the tomb in front of the upright stone which holds the medallion.
Architect: G. A. Blouet.
2006 photo by Steve Soper
Another print of what is historically the most famous tomb in the cemetery, c. 19th century. . .
and from 2006. . .
Oh, and this is what the grave looked like shortly after the two lovers remains were transferred to the cemetery in 1817:
While there are several fine prints of the cemetery's early history there are few photos that predate the 20th century. Here are two fine views taken in the late 19th century from across Boulevard Menilmontant.
In the first one you can clearly see present-day divisions 1 (right) and 59 (left) separated by Avenue Thirion.
In the second, taken from roughly the same vantage point, you can clearly see the Beaujour obelisk in the background, the cemetery wall and the open ground devoid of any interments as the hill slopes down to divisions 59, 60, 61 and 62,
What's curious about this map from an old Baedeker guide to Paris (1904) is right there in the upper left-hand corner: those dotted lines that outline the tunnel for the long-gone Chemin de fer de Ceinture, the small underground railway that once linked now-defunct intra-city train stations and served as a means of resupplying the old fortifications.
My question is: Was the tunnel the reason why D83 was never used for burials but only as a maintenance facility?
Thanks to Marie B. we have the answer: the tunnel collapsed in 1874 destroying all the graves in that division and the space was never reused.
Anyway, the map shows the tunnel running between the Menilmontant and Charonne passenger stations. While the stations are long gone and the tunnel no longer is used parts of it still exists, such as the old Charonne station converted into a cafe:
. . . or near the Parc Montsouris: