Square de la Tour Saint-Jacques
METRO: chatelet, LINES 1, 4, 7, 11, 14
Originally the bell tower for the parish church of Saint-Jacques-de-Boucherie, which was built between 1509 and 1523 and paid for by the wealth of the butchers that once inhabited this part of Paris. It is also the French departure point for the famous pilgrimage route, Santiago de Campostela.
In 1797 all but the bell tower was destroyed and the remains of those originally interred in the church were transferred to the Catacombs. According to Bertrand Beyern, in 1871 bodies of Communards executed by the government were thrown into a mass grave in the square at the base of the tower.
Today this visually striking gothic tower is a national landmark.
See Bertrand Beyern Guide des tombes d'hommes célèbres (2008 157).